“He who controls the media, controls culture” – Dr. Ted Baehr
Movieguide was founded in 1985 by Dr. Ted Baehr in Atlanta, GA. The organization started as a radio program, then a TV program and finally as a bi-weekly magazine.
Now located just outside of Los Angeles, CA, Movieguide’s mission is to redeem the values of the entertainment industry, according to biblical principles, by influencing industry executives and artists.
The organization reviews all the movies from a Christian perspective and how movies affect children at different stages of cognitive development. They analyze movies using over 15o different criteria that cover dramatic elements, the literary, the worldview and the theological… and much more.
Below are excerpts from the article “Let There Be Light” (first published here), detailing MOVIEGUIDE®’s Annual Report to Hollywood, showing Christian, Family Movies do the best at the box office.
90% of the Top 10 Movies in the United States and overseas in 2017 contained strong or very strong Christian, redemptive, biblical, moral content, including such movies as DESPICABLE ME 3, JUSTICE LEAGUE, THOR: RAGNORAK, WONDER WOMAN, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING, and THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS, among others.
Dr. Baehr noted:
- BOSS BABY told audiences that Jesus was the boss,
- The great news of Christmas in THE STAR transformed the heroes who were, of course, animals, and the audience,
- Teamwork, fatherhood and truth transformed Batman in THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE,
- God’s grace helped Christian refugees and transformed ALL SAINTS Church.
- An atheist reporter was transformed by looking at the evidence in THE CASE FOR CHRIST,
- Freedom fighting soldiers and patriotic citizens were transformed in DUNKIRK,
- WONDER WOMAN was transformed by the power of selfless love, and
- A flawed father was transformed to sacrifice himself for his daughter in PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES, and,
- Moviegoers were transformed and inspired to support the good, the true and the beautiful at the box office.
To help the Entertainment Industry, every year we do this detailed economic Report with analysis based on 150 criteria. We look at the aesthetics, ontology, epistemology, and semantics. We find that great movies are great stories well-told, which is a very precise and skilled process.
Read the full article including charts of some of the major findings in MOVIEGUIDE®’s Annual Report.
Source: Ministry Tech