It’s a common situation. The pastor is the only paid staff member at the church, but now funds are available to bring on another full-time person. Who should the first hire be?
The response was unanimous, according to the 2,000 members Church Answers team, in urging the pastor to get a children’s minister. So why is the children’s minister position in such demand?
The Church Answers community let us know, with most of the responses fitting into one of these five categories.
- Millennials have a lot of kids. The Millennial generation is the largest generation in America’s history (though they may be surpassed by Gen Z). There are 78 million young adults ranging in ages from 18 to 38. And they have lots of kids. If they visit a church, one of their highest priorities is the quality of the children’s ministry.
- A healthy children’s ministry usually results in a healthy student ministry. It makes sense. If there are quality teaching and ministry for the children, these children are more likely to move to student ministry better prepared for life and better disciplined for God’s work.
- A quality children’s ministry requires a large volunteer force. Indeed, this rationale was one of the key reasons the leaders at Church Answers responded in unanimity for calling a children’s minister. Leading the volunteer ministry can be a full-time job by itself.
- If churches desire to reach families, they must be prepared to reach children. If the Boomer generation acted like helicopters and hovered over their kids, the Millennial generation is acting like sidecars, and want to go wherever the motorcycle/child goes. You can’t reach a family with kids unless you are really prepared to reach the kids.
- Parents insist on safety, security, and hygiene for their kids. We live in a nervous time heightened by the greater awareness of sex abuse, shooters, and germs. Parents want to know the church is a safe place for their kids. The presence of a quality children’s minister is a huge positive statement for these parents.
We saw this trend five years ago. It is now a reality. The staff position of the greatest demand in congregations is the children’s minister.
Source: Lifeway Resources
Shelby Systems has all the tools you need to help your church establish a successful children’s ministry. To learn more, please contact one of our Ministry Consultants today.