May 2, 2019
The National Day of Prayer is an annual day of observance held on the first Thursday of May, designated by the United States Congress, when people are asked “to turn to God in prayer and meditation”.
- 1775 – The first Continental Congress called for a National Day of Prayer
- 1863 – Abraham Lincoln called for a National Day of Prayer
- 1952 – Congress established the National Day of Prayer as an annual event by a joint resolution, signed into law by President Truman (82-324)
- 1988 – The National Day of Prayer was designated as the first Thursday in May (100-307)
Four Prayer Priorities for America in May 2019:
- Ask God to Bless the United States of America – “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord – the people He has chosen to be his own possession!” Psalm 33:12
- Pray for Americans to love one another, beginning with Christ followers – “Love one another just as I have loved you.” John 13:34
- Pray for the centers of influence in America – “First of all the, I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all those who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.” I Timothy 2:1-2
- Ask God for the National Day of Prayer to become a catalytic spiritual movement across America – “They all were continually united in prayer.” Acts 1:14
Please join Shelby Systems and millions of other believers on the National Day of Prayer as we intercede for America’s leaders and families.
Find an Event near you.