March 11, 2019
The oldest members of Gen Z are just entering college and the work force. The Wall Street Journal recently published an article about “the first generation that’s never known a world without smartphones and social media.” Who is Gen Z and what are the generation’s implications for the church?
What the church needs to know about Gen Z:
- Instagram is generally the social media network of choice for Gen Z.
- Gen Z gets its news from social media, not from traditional media.
- The next generation of people are on social networks. If churches want to reach them well, they must be on social networks as well.
- Even with an increased digital presence, younger generations still need in-person community.
Five Gen Z Traits that will impact the Church:
- Gen Z does not distinguish between digital and IRL (in real life).
- Facebook is out; Instagram is in.
- Gen Z gets its news from social media.
- Gen Z’s appetite for reading is surprising.
- This generation worries about tech addiction.
Source: Lifeway Resources
Shelby Systems has decades of experience working with ministries of all sizes. For more creative ideas on how to communicate with your congregation, contact your Shelby Sales Consultant today!