August 21, 2017
One of the best overviews of current trends in social media was put out this year by WordStream. It was updated in May 2017. Among other fascinating tidbits, it shared that:
- 83 percent of female Internet users and 75 percent of male Internet users are on Facebook.
- 22 percent of the world’s total population uses Facebook.
- 32 percent of teenagers consider Instagram to be the most important social network.
- Most Instagram users are between 18 to 29 years old, which is about 6 in 10 online adults.
- 81 percent of Millennials check Twitter at least once per day.
- On any given day, Snapchat reaches 41 percent of 18- to 34-year-olds in the US.
- YouTube (and even YouTube on mobile devices alone) reaches more 18- to 34- and 18- to 49-year-olds than any cable network in the U.S.
WordStream developed two major conclusions:
- Facebook continues to be the most widely used social media platform, reaching 79 percent of American Internet users. Based on the total U.S. population—not just Internet users—that’s 68 percent of U.S. adults!
- Every other platform trails behind: Instagram receives the silver medal with 32 percent of users; Pinterest comes in a close third with 31 percent, followed by LinkedIn and Twitter at 29 percent and 24 percent respectively.
Social media is both exciting (in that we have new ways to reach and disciple our world for Jesus) and at the same time overwhelming because of the challenges in the time and skills needed to make the most of these opportunities. Pray hard that God will give you a team of people who can share the ministry and who delight in using the new tools of social media to share the eternal story of God’s love for us, his desire for our salvation, and his goal to help us all grow to become like Jesus.
Source: Ministry Tech